23.0.60; Slowdown in directory scanning over time.

From: Len Trigg
Subject: 23.0.60; Slowdown in directory scanning over time.
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 10:20:56 +1200

[Resending this, because I'm not sure if my email made it through the
first time]

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I'm using CVS emacs and I've noticed that it's exhibiting a very
painful slowdown over time.  I'm primarily using JDEE for Java
development, and when opening a new java file it can get to taking
minutes for the file to open.  If I restart emacs things are snappy
again.  I have tried to narrow things down and think I have found the
problem.  When opening a java file, JDEE does a scan of library
directories to build the project classpath, and it seems to be this
scanning that is taking longer to evaluate.  When switching to an
already open Java buffer, it does a quick scan looking in various
directories for changes to the project file, and this also slows down.

If I evaluate the following code:

  (let ((time-initial (current-time))
        (files (directory-files
"/home2/len/reeltwo_sandboxes/vetech/src/com/vetech/datamodel")))
    (message (format "Took %d seconds to list %d files" (time-to-seconds
(time-subtract (current-time) time-initial)) (length files))))

with the emacs I just had running (which had been open for several
days, but only had approximately 35 buffers open), the output said it
took between 2 and 3 seconds to list 166 files.  With this freshly
restarted emacs, it now repeatedly says 0 seconds.  I hope you can pin
things down to find the actual cause.

Cheers,
Len.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/home2/len/local/share/emacs/23.0.60/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2008-03-25 on noir
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--prefix=/home2/len/local''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_NZ
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  pmwiki-minor-mode: t
  erc-autoaway-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  pc-selection-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC x r i c DEL DEL DEL i r c RET j e TAB r TAB DEL
DEL TAB h t t p : / / w w w . j w z . o r g / d o c
/ t a b s - v s - s p a c e s . h t m l RET k u r TAB
h t t p : / / w w w . j w z . o r g / d o c / t a b
s - v s - s p a c e s . h t m l RET C-x C-f ~ / t e
TAB . e l TAB RET C-n C-n C-n C-n C-b C-x C-e C-w C-x
C-e C-x C-e C-x C-e C-x C-e C-n ESC x r e p o r TAB
b u TAB RET

Recent messages:
Took 0 seconds to list 166 files
"Took 0 seconds to list 166 files"
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region