Re: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:01:51 -0400

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

>> This is likely immediately "due" to transient-mark-mode being on, but
>> this is IMO NOT a case against t-m-m, it's a case for making emacs point
>> handling during scrolling more like other editors.
>
> I think we're gradually sinking deeper and deeper into a tarpit of
> kludges.  Transient Mark Mode, getting shifty to mark regions, ....  I
> think backing off and thinking what we're actually turning Emacs into,
> before we get mired any further, would be a good idea.

As I explained elsewhere on this thread, this is really an issue of
mouse selection, not transient mark mode.  Since Emacs 22 or even
earlier, mouse selection has required somewhat intricate machinery to
DTRT (see mouse.el).  The recent change to the tmm-only mechanism
necessitates some tweaking of this machinery, that's all.

If you want to avoid tmm entirely, you could, y'know, avoid using the
mouse...