Re: Tab bar

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 02:48:17 +0300

> I frequently work with new users of Emacs and perhaps their biggest
> frustration is switching between buffers (or even just knowing that's
> what they need to do).
>
> If the tab bar by default provided one tab per buffer that would be
> great for such users.

It is not unusual to have tens or even hundreds buffers in Emacs.
Can you imagine a tab bar with hundreds tabs?  It would occupy
the whole screen.

But really switching between buffers is not a problem, because Emacs
already provides many different ways to do this: the top-level menu
"Buffers", <C-mouse-1> pop-up menu, `C-x b' key, several packages like
buff-menu.el, ebuff-menu.el, ibuffer.el, iswitchb.el, ido.el, etc.

What Emacs still misses is a feature to group several frames,
window configurations, work areas, perspectives (these are
different names for almost the same thing) in the tab bar.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/