Re: Tab bar

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 03:32:54 +0300

> For new users a tab bar with one tab per buffer (and perhaps showing the
> n most recent) would be a great help, they can get to work without
> immediately having to learn how to switch buffers or for that matter
> learning what a buffer is.
>
> I'd suggest taking such users into account when designing the tab bar
> though without compromising the features for organization that
> experienced users might want.

Just as web browsers provide an option to choose between opening pages
in a new tab or in the same tab, and similarly to the Emacs option
`pop-up-frames', we could create a new user option `pop-up-tabs' whose
non-nil value will always display a new buffer in a new tab, and we
could even set it to non-nil by default for the convenience of new users.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/