Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:56:05 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > But that's the issue: if sending mail works "reliably" from "emacs -Q"
 > there's no need for "load .emacs".

That's your issue, which I agree is an issue, though I don't see how
you propose to address it via "load .emacs".  My issue is that I
wouldn't wish sendmail.el on my worst enemy, let alone an innocent
newbie, and most especially not on an innocent newbie who's gotten
used to message-mode.

 > The case when there's an error is the easy one.  The problem is when
 > sendmail accepts the mail and then silently drops it,

I don't see how we can detect that from Emacs, let alone prevent it.

 > sends it to someone who'll drop it as "spam",

PEBKAC, not solvable at our end AFAICS.

 > sends it to a black hole that nobody will ever look at (e.g. a
 > local mailbox).

PEBKAC, not solvable at our end AFAICS.

In both cases I claim are PEBKAC, the user should be using
report-emacs-bug (or whatever it may be called nowadays), which should
set up the To header correctly.