Re: hunspell support (was: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries)

From: Agustin Martin Domingo
Subject: Re: hunspell support (was: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 12:35:54 +0000 (UTC)

Sascha Wilde <wilde <at> sha-bang.de> writes:

> One problem seems to be, that in contrast to the manual page hunspell in
> pipe mode does not handle lines starting with `~' like ispell -- in fact
> currently I'm under the impression it doesn't handle them specially at
> all...
>
> I don't know how much of an problem this is -- I simply don't know
> enough about the details of ispell, hunspell and Emacs ispell mode.

IIRC, that handles the extended character mode. From ispell.el

   EXTENDED-CHARACTER-MODE should be used when dictionaries are used which
   have been configured in an Ispell affix file.  (For example, umlauts
   can be encoded as \\\"a, a\\\", \"a, ...)

This has currently not meaning for aspell and hunspell, although none of them
complain about it for backwards compatibility. I have read somewhere that aspell
may have in the future support for some of those mappings (e.g., \'a -> รก), but
do not know how that will be enabled.