Re: visual marks [was: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region hi

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: visual marks [was: Preserving sanity in Emacs [Re: rampant region highlighting]
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:40:17 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
>> The mark ring marks of course aren't necessarily in display order,
>> they're in the order you set them, so without any visual differentiation
>> between the different mark ring mark highlights, you can't really tell
>> from the display which mark you'll end up at when you hit C-u C-SPC, you
>> just know it's one of 'em - once I could see the marks, I found myself
>> wanting "jump to next/prev mark relative to point, in display order"
>> more than "pop mark".
>

> Interesting, the visual clues are very powerful and I guess they can
> twist your memory. Maybe it is hard to keep a more abstract view of the
> marks simultaneously?

Not sure I ever really remembered the order I placed the marks on the
mark ring beyond 1 or 2 though, just that I did add a mark, so I just
kept hitting C-u C-SPC  until I was where I wanted (the ring being a
ring, that always works, at least until you make so many marks that old
marks start disappearing from the finite-size ring...).