Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Feature request: Menu item "load init files" after -q/-Q
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:51:36 -0400

>> > That's your issue, which I agree is an issue, though I don't see how
>> > you propose to address it via "load .emacs".
>>
>> You said: "it will normally be fixed by loading the init files".

> Please, don't be argumentative.  I'm just trying to explain why
> communication broke down.  Obviously, when I write "it", "it" refers
> to my issue, not yours.  The ambiguity is inherent, but I was unable
> to see what you were talking about because I don't consider it an
> Emacs issue to be solved in Emacs.

Sorry, I did not intend to be argumentative.  The thread is just a bit
long and with many unrelated aspects mixed together.  As far as I can
tell the only interesting aspect of a "load .emacs" button is to setup
the mail system so that M-x report-emacs-bug works.  So it's the only
part of the thread that I'm focusing on.

>> > PEBKAC, not solvable at our end AFAICS.
>> Not PEBCAK at all.  Most machines nowadays which have /usr/sbin/sendmail
>> have it misconfigured
> OK, so it's a PEBMAKAC: Problem Existing Between Mail Admin's Keyboard
> And Chair.  Still not something we can do anything about.

Those broken machines have no such thing as a "Mail Admin".

>> In many cases, the only reliable way for the user
>> to send an email is via a webmail application.

> In that case, what you really want is to simply disable bug reporting
> by mail, and rewrite the whole system to directly inject the report
> into debbugs via port 80.

Yes, that's actually an attractive option (except that I don't think you
can report bugs to Debbugs via port 80, but we could let
emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com accept SMTP connections on a port that's open
on pretty much all firewalls).

> (Note that this essentially takes us back
> to the days of UUCP, but I guess we don't have much choice.)

Yes, it's a very sad affair.  SMTP is dying.

        Stefan