Re: Default of send-mail-function

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Default of send-mail-function
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:21:02 +0200

On Mon, Apr 07 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>> On system-type darwin and windows-nt, send-mail-function defaults to
>> mailclient-send-it which passes the mail to "the system's mail client"
>> via a mailto-URL.  If we would use this on gnu/linux as well, it would
>> pass the mail to browse-url-browser-function, [...].  Now it depends
>> on whether this *browser* handles mailto-URLs in a sensible way.
>> [I hope I understood the code correctly. If not, please correct me.]
>
> Thanks Reiner. On w32 it is however the system that decide which program to
> use. Emacs calls this with w32-shell-execute.
>
> Is there not something similar on GNU/Linux?

IIRC, the "big" desktop environments (Gnome[1], KDE) also have
something like a system mail handler.  Maybe
http://www.freedesktop.org/ specifies some standard way.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] I use fluxbox (i.e. a simple window manager, no desktop
    environment), but Firefox (a GTK application) uses the setting
    from Gnome.  I.i. the handler specified in
    `~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto/%gconf.xml'.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)