Re: Tab bar

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 02:31:01 +0300

> I imagine that the user first press C-tab and then by pressing a second
> key gets into that "ido-like state". Perhaps a quick press of C-tab again
> should enter that state. (Entering that state autmatically would be
> confusing for a new user since that is not the way tabs
> normally function.)

Do you know about the Firefox addon `iswitchb-tabs'?  It imitates the
Emacs iswitchb-mode in Firefox and lets switching between tabs by typing
part of the tab name.

> Another note: You wrote in another message that tabs are most important
> for windows. If there is a special set of buffers for a window then it
> makes sense to me with a special tab row for that window. Otherwise it
> makes more sense to me to have one tab row per frame and that this affects
> the selected window.

I agree, this makes sense in Eclipse only because it attaches a special
set of buffers for a window.

> I am not sure how that could work and look. One important thing about tabs
> IMO is the ability to use C-tab/C-S-tab to switch tab.

There is also a feature that after pressing <C-tab> it displays a list of
all tabs, <tab> navigates to the next tab in this temporarily displayed
list while you still hold the Ctrl key, and releasing the Ctrl key
switches to the selected tab.  It seems this is not possible to implement
in Emacs, since it requires distinguishing between key press and release
events.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/