Re: Small improvement of emacs 23 display on win32

From: Kyle M. Lee
Subject: Re: Small improvement of emacs 23 display on win32
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:03:45 +0800

Jason Rumney 写道:
> Kyle M. Lee wrote:
>> After that I found the emacs 23 flashes much lesser as running *without*
>> --disable-font-backend.
>
> I appreciate the effort you put in to try to help, but the flickering is
> a bug (which was fixed late last week), and using double buffering to
> hide the bug is not the right solution.
I see, that's a bug.

> Double buffering is useful to hide flickering when it cannot be avoided,
The emacs on win32 flickers usually,not like a modern application but
ancient sword. :) And I have to work on WinXP not Ubuntu. :(

> but in Emacs we have always tuned the redisplay to eliminate the need
> for such tricks. Avoiding double buffering improves performance overall,
> even if you sometime perceive Emacs to be slower because you see the
> drawing progress instead of being forced to wait until drawing is
> complete before it appears on screen.
Yap, double buffering has performance issue.

I found something insteresting about this:
[http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/extra/fullscreen/doublebuf.html]

perceived performance vs. numerical performance ?