Re: Tab bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:35:49 -0400

    Is this because you don't use web browsers?  In most modern web browsers
    a tab displays a web page, but the same tab can switch between different
    web pages (so web pages are equivalent to Emacs buffers).  When the user
    wants to visit a new page, then depending on such option, the browser
    can either open it in the same tab or create a new tab.

Now I see what you mean.  In effect, the new buffer can replace
the old one in the tab bar, or it can add to the tab bar.

If a window has a list of preferred buffers, and normally generates
its list of tabs from that, these two options would be (1) the new
buffer replaces the old buffer in the list of preferred buffers, or
(2) the new buffer is added to the list of preferred buffers.

It makes sense.  My only doubt is whether we could find room
in the keys and buttons for these two options.