Re: Default of send-mail-function

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Default of send-mail-function
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:06:57 -0500

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:15:23 +0100, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> said:

> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>> * GNU/Linux
>> - debian: manoj, please help me fill in this. Desktop? Other?
>> - ubuntu: I guess system default mail, but other knows better than me

> I don't think its as simple as which distribution you use. It depends
> on whether you choose to install a full mail server (which may be part
> of the defaults on some distributions, or it may depend on choices
> made at install time), and it depends on whether that server is
> configured correctly.  Manoj is right - in multi-user environments
> with a qualified administrator looking after the machines, sendmail is
> going to be less problematic than expecting all users to set up their
> mail client. But increasingly GNU/Linux is being used in single user
> desktop environments.

        Fair enough. But at least in Debian,
Package: exim4
Depends: ..., exim4-daemon-light | exim4-daemon-heavy | exim4-daemon-custom

        So the default install would instal exim4-daemon-light,  an
 MTA -- and installation time configuration leads the user through basic
 setup. Choices are:
 1. internet site; mail is sent and received directly using SMTP,
 2. mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail,
 3. mail sent by smarthost; no local mail,
 4. local delivery only; not on a network,
 5. no configuration at this time

        I suspect a lot of single user machines are using the first 3
 choices; but I have no data to back up my suspicion.

        manoj
--
There is more to life than increasing its speed. Mahatma Gandhi
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>