Re: VC state

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: VC state
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:52:11 +1200

 >   > I don't see it as particularly experimental: it's what I now use as
 >   > a replacement for PCL-CVS when I use Bzr.
 >
 > So can the experimental label be removed then?
 > How about binding vc-status to C-x v d so that it gets more exposure?
 > What is the plan for vc-dired?
 > When can it be removed?
 > IMO it does not make sense to keep code for two different
 > implementations of the same thing, it just adds complexity to the code.

Any "experimental label" is in the mind, so consider it already removed.
If vc-status is meant to be an improved replacement for vc-dired then
it seems reasonable to me that it takes the binding 'C-x v d'.  However,
I still use vc-dired so I think it's unreasonable to remove vc-dired
until vc-status does everything better.

I've only briefly looked at vc-status but here are a few things that I
noticed:

* vc-status doesn't seem to heed vc-stay-local or vc-cvs-stay-local.

* The filenames are highlighted by the mouse but clicking mouse-2 doesn't
  visit the file in another buffer

* The statuses are highlighted by the mouse but clicking mouse-2 doesn't
  do anything special

* The bindings vc-status-previous/next-line are on the menubar as menu-items
  but no-one would ever use them from there.

* I'm not sure if the keybindings are based on Dired or Pcl-cvs but they
  seem to be an unmemorable mix of upper and lowercase letters and other
  characters.

* If Emacs can't connect with the server there is no message in the buffer
  or elsewhere to explain what has happened.

* There is no description in the manual for vc-status.  Indeed the node
  "VC Status" is about Log-View mode.

* The mode name is "*VC Status*".  I think the convention of enclosing
  names in asterisks is for buffer names only.