Re: Tab bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tab bar
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:33:38 -0400

    Users who want to use tabs will probably use them instead of frames (in
    my experience, there is little overlap between users who want everything
    in one frame with tabs to select between them, and users who want a
    separate frame for everything), so sharing keybindings with C-x 5 may be
    an acceptable solution if we cannot find free keys.

That sounds plausible to me.

                                                        Something like: if
    the current window or its containing frame is already tabbed, or if the
    user or mode has expressed a preference for a tabbed UI, then C-x 5 C-f
    creates a new tab, and C-u C-x 5 C-f creates a new frame. Otherwise the
    behaviour of C-x 5 bindings are reversed.

This convention might be problematical, especially if some of the commands
already use the prefix arg for something else.