Re: 23.0.50; pcmpl-ssh-hosts breaks when known_hosts file has a space in

From: Phil Hagelberg
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; pcmpl-ssh-hosts breaks when known_hosts file has a space in the wrong place
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:28:51 -0700

Sorry, I lost this email for a while when I was switching machines.

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> I quote from `man sshd' on my RHEL5 system:
>
> SSH_KNOWN_HOSTS FILE FORMAT

>    Each line in these files contains the following fields: hostnames,
>    bits, exponent, modulus, comment.  The fields are separated by spaces.
>
>    Hostnames is a comma-separated list of patterns...
>
> This is "OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006".

> My own known_hosts file contains many entries like this:
>
> host1.full.domain,host1,host1-alias,host-generic,ip1 ssh-rsa ...
> host2.full.domain,host2,host2-alias,host-generic,ip2 ssh-rsa ...

Interesting. I have never seen a file like this in practice, but I have
not used Red Hat in a long time. Thanks for bringing this to my
attention.

Recently it's come to my attention that there's already a function that
does this in tramp: tramp-parse-hosts will return a list of user/host
pairs, though on my machine it also returns some key signatures. (I
imagine it could use some debugging as well.)

Clearly this shows some redundancy that should be removed. But I'm not
sure what the best way to go about this is. I don't think pcomplete
should require tramp, nor vice-versa. Perhaps it should be spun out into
a third file that the other two require? I don't feel I have a great
grasp on how files are organized within Emacs.

Thoughts?

-Phil
http://technomancy.us