Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:27:23 +0200

Nick Roberts skrev:
 > I've added a general mechanism that converts multiline tooltips to single
 > line in this case.  Maybe it should be customizable, but if you want
 > multiline tooltips, you can always use the normal tooltip mode (i.e. not the
 > echo area).

Now it seems to just display the first line which often doesn't include the
most interesting information.

Basically it takes the multiline tool tip and join lines to a single line until no more lines can be added without exceeding the frame width.

The idea is that if you are sofisticated enough to disable tool tips, you either know what they say or don't care that much. But the main thing is to avoid minibuffer expansion and shrinkage.

I find that I do get the interesting information, for example

"Buffer is read-only, mouse-1 toggles"
"Buffer coding system (multi-byte): utf-8-unix, mouse-1: describe coding system"
"Buffer is Modified, mouse-1 toggles modified state"

If you are just seeing the first line ("Buffer is Modified") then you didn't recompile all .el files correctly.

        Jan D.