Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:55:06 -0400

    > This is is not a good idea.  `insert-parentheses' and
    > `move-past-close-and-reindent' should be bound only for programming
    > modes for which they actually make sense.

    Inserting pairs of parentheses makes sense pretty much everywhere.

Yes.  And error messages that a beginner doesn't totally understand
can happen in many ways in Emacs.  I think this change is too much
just to eliminate a few cases of them.

Leaving well enough alone seems best to me.

People are proposing lots of changes in long-settled aspects of Emacs,
and I think this is a bad habit.  Each such proposal leads to a long
discussion, which takes up lots of people's time.  And usually it
doesn't achieve anything.