Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; M-( and M-) should not be bound in ESC map
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:09:26 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> I was not talking specifically about recent discussions. It was the
> feeling gathered after five years of emacs-devel. All user-visible
> changes cause long threads, heated comments and few decisions.

It also causes the abandonment of bad compromises.  Many of those
discussions have resulted in code and behavior that would be an overall
improvement, meaning that it retained its usefulness for its proponents
while not being a regression for its opponents.

Waxing poetical, moving from raw to cooked state might require heat at
times.

If the aim of this discussion list was to make everybody like everybody
else, it probably could be called not quite effective.  But its aim is
the development and improvement of Emacs.  And those few decisions which
caused long threads, all in all, tended to be decisions in the need of
cooking.  When the decision finally was made, it was rarely about the
same code that started the discussion.