Re: Obsolete functions and variables

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Obsolete functions and variables
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 02:21:26 +0200

Nick Roberts wrote:
 > >>  I guess the dangers generally outweigh the advantages but there's not
 > >>  much point in marking them obsolete if they're never going to be
 > >>  removed.

  Obsolete \Ob"so*lete\, a. [L. obsoletus, p. p. of obsolescere.
     See {Obsolescent}.]
     1. No longer in use; gone into disuse; disused; neglected;

Hmm, this is starting to sound like Monty Python's dead parrot sketch!

I am glad we are creative.

> Maybe a more visible warning when obsolete things are found would be > good? (Using for example lwarn.)

How would this work?  Not in some hand wavy way but with a real code
explanation.

Do you mean it is difficult to do this? After looking at the code I might think it is. I thought that eval warned about obsolete functions but it does not. I do not think eval cares about "obsolete-ness". It is the bytecompiler that does it and the warnings given by the byte compiler are rather visible, but they does not explain very much.

Maybe a comment at the end of the compilation log could tell people to remove the use of obsolete things?