Re: Obsolete functions and variables

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Obsolete functions and variables
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:17:47 -0700

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:27:57 +0200
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Nick Roberts
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >>  I guess
> >>  the dangers generally outweigh the advantages but there's not
> >> much point in marking them obsolete if they're never going to be
> >> removed.
> >
> > I agree. I just don't expect it to happen.
>

> I am not sure I agree. Are not a function sometimes marked as
> obsolete because there is a new better version that works in more
> cases? The old obsolete function may still work in many cases.
>
> Maybe a more visible warning when obsolete things are found would be
> good? (Using for example lwarn.)

A mention of a URL, or the information to fix it would be a help.

This was a jewel for figuring out what old style back-quotes are.

http://iep.water.ca.gov/d/bin/sbin/site/lib/xemacs-19.15/lisp/prim/backquote.el

CA Department of Water Resources Interagency Ecological Program (I.E.P) was not
my first
thought to find such a useful Emacs document.

This file had a very good explanation. I know you can always google, but google
is getting less useful it seems: to many hits on web-forums and portals.