Re: Bazaar branch of Emacs.app

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Bazaar branch of Emacs.app
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:49:12 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > I've setup a Bazaar branch (based on Jason's mirror) of Emacs.app.
  > Get it from
  >
  >    sftp://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/emacs.app
  >    http://arch.sv.gnu.org/archives/emacs/bzr/emacs.app
  >
  > I recommend you use the "bzr.dev" version of Bzr: it's not blazingly
  > fast yet, but it's better than 1.3 for some things.
  >
  > I haven't yet been able to build it on my GNU/Linux system: config.h
  > says that HAVE_NS is undefined, so it looks like there's something
  > broken in the configuration scripts.  Incidentally, the configuration
  > needs to be integrated with the ./configure script (currently you're
  > expected  to run nextstep/compile which then runs `configure').
  >
  > I encourage you to take a look at it, fix it, and when you find
  > problems, to add them to nextstep/FOR_RELEASE.

I wasn't able to access that using sftp, but I took a look at
lisp/term/ns-win.el and it needs a cleanup.

Here are some comments for FOR_RELEASE:

- it shouldn't set the "File" menu
- the pager-* functions don't belong there
- bindings for C-v, next, prior
- transient-mark-mode should not be called
- mouse-wheel-mode call should be moved inside
  ns-initialize-window-system
- remove the defvaralias
- remove some of the defaliases in favor of renaming the functions they alias
- some functions are called do-*. are they useful? if yes, use the ns- prefix
- is the iconify-or-deiconify-frame redefinition useful?
- require 'mldrag?
- {up,down,left,right}-one functions don't belong here
- what are ns-working-overlay, ns-*working-text? Are they acceptable in
  that file?