Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: mode-line tooltips for "[" and "]" in recursive-edit
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:23:08 +0200

Stefan Monnier skrev:
But the main thing is to avoid minibuffer expansion and shrinkage.
Why is that the main thing? Why is that even a goal?
Because some people don't like it or because it sometimes can't be done.

If it can't be done, then it can't be done. Can't argue with that.

But it doesn't seem right for the only echo-area display of tooltip
help to truncate it at the frame width. Joining the lines is not
a problem, but losing some of the info could be.

Make such truncation an option, if you want, and even make it the
default way of displaying a tooltip in the echo area, if you want. But
there should be some way for users to see the complete tooltip text in
the echo area.

Oh, you're arguing about the truncation part, not the single-line part.
Then I agree it might be better to not bother truncating.

If you don't truncate, you can't get single line.

Especially since the truncation is inexact anyway (depending on the
chars found and the fonts used for them we may not cut at the right
place: the only right way to truncate is via tuncate-lines).

Truncate happens at newlines. I thought it best to show complete lines rather than lines cut at some random word.

        Jan D.