Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL,v

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL,v
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:43:42 +0300

> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:24:51 +0200
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >  Usually, update-subdirs is just a waste of time, since new directories
> >  are seldom created.
>
> Well, I'd say the point of cvs-update is to be correct over fast,
> isn't it?

No, it isn't.  If you want to be correct, use "make bootstrap".
cvs-update was introduced as a very useful shortcut, which takes half
a minute, if only a few Lisp files were modified, rather than one and
a half hour taken by bootstrapping.

> And as Jason points out, it is a negligible amount of time
> anyway.

One (minor) problem is that it regenerates subdirs.el unconditionally,
so whatever targets that depend on it will be remade as well.

But these are all minor considerations, admittedly.