Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:18:17 +0200

Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:45:00 +0200
From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>

cd emacs
./configure
make bootstrap

Yes, it is heavy, but it is the only clean method that will guarantee the patches do no introduce regressions.

Actually, there is no practical way to know for sure that changes
don't introduce regressions, in general.  While "make bootstrap" will
make sure a bootstrap works on the submitter's machine (and is
recommended to those that can afford it), it says nothing about other
ways of building Emacs, nor about other machines and OSes we support.

Obviously.

But how could the trunk users to test a new patch if it breaks the bootstrap?

I thought that passing the bootstrap was the minimal request for submitting a patch and that this would be reached if all start with the same conditions in bootstrapping.

Sorry if I has been wrong.

So please calm down.  The development trunk will inevitably become
broken from time to time, no matter what.  If you must build the trunk
every day or even more frequently, and depend on the resulting binary
for your daily work, I suggest to make some arrangements to have the
previous working build available until you are sure the new one builds
and works successfully.

I think that on my backup DVDs I have working build until two months ago.

And if I build so often, it is to avoid the pile-up of bugs (when they are present) that would make hard to solve, mainly on Cygwin, on which no cygwin-guys take care of them.

Sorry newly for the noise,
  Angelo.