Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:27:34 +0200

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Angelo Graziosi
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  But how could the trunk users to test a new patch if it breaks the
> bootstrap?

There is no need to bootstrap after every cvs update...

>  I thought that passing the bootstrap was the minimal request for submitting
> a patch and that this would be reached if all start with the same conditions
> in bootstrapping.

In an ideal world, it'd be nice if each change were to be known not to
break bootstrapping. But the fact is, most patches do not break it
[1], and the ones that do are usually detected quite fast, so it is a
waste of resources to require everyone to bootstrap before each commit
[2].

[1] Some changes (configure, makefiles, autoloads, etc.) are more
likely than others; we're hit such a spot right now :(
[2] Bear in mind that tiny, apparently trivial changes can break it:
there's no complexity threshold below which a change is totally safe.

 Juanma