Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:08:46 +0300

> Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:18:17 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> But how could the trunk users to test a new patch if it breaks the
> bootstrap?

If the changes also break a non-bootstrap build, then they can't, not
until the trunk is fixed to build again.  Or they can fix it
themselves, if they have time and knowhow.

> I thought that passing the bootstrap was the minimal request for
> submitting a patch and that this would be reached if all start with the
> same conditions in bootstrapping.

I don't know if this is the minimal requirement, and it's not my place
to introduce such requirements.  All I can say is that bootstrapping
takes a significant time, so requiring it from each submitter would be
tough on them.  FWIW, I bootstrap only very infrequently.

> Sorry newly for the noise,

No need to apologize.  Thanks for timely reports of the breakage.