Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:46:18 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> In an ideal world, it'd be nice if each change were to be known
> not to break bootstrapping. But the fact is, most patches do not
> break it [1], and the ones that do are usually detected quite
> fast, so it is a waste of resources to require everyone to
> bootstrap before each commit [2].

While that is certainly true, it's also a waste of time for our
users to have to report bugs that could be avoided, and a waste of
our own time because we have to handle the reports.

For the last few months I've been running a buildbot for the trunk
and the 22 branch (and before the merge, for the unicode branch), it
does a clean build every night (on GNU/Linux only) and usually
catches bootstrap failures.  See <URL:http://build.orebokech.com/>.

If there's interest we could add Cygwin and Windows build slaves
and possibly increase the build frequency (the usual way of using
buildbot is with a notification script in the CVS commit hooks, but
I don't think this is allowed on Savannah).