buffer-local faces?

From: David Reitter
Subject: buffer-local faces?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:45:06 +0100

I just found a discussion back in 2002:

Stefan Monnier> I know that I've never understood the point of having frame-local face definitions, whereas the need for buffer-local face definitions has shown up every once in a while. Miles Bader> BTW, I want to say I think replacing frame-specific faces with buffer-specific faces would be a fantastic idea.
http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.devel/2002-07/msg00198.html
http://osdir.com/ml/emacs.devel/2002-07/msg00254.html

I've been working on a minor mode for a few years now that applies "default styles" to frames depending on the major mode of the buffer displayed in their (first) window. That way, users can use a variable- width font for, say, latex-mode, but a fixed-width one otherwise. Different background colors help distinguish the different buffers visually when lots of frames are open. That said, this is a huge hack and causes pain when switching buffers in a frame (frames resize, for instance), and the correct way to do these things would be to use buffer-local faces.

Has there been any progress with that since 2002? Is anyone else interested in it? [I don't mean to question a "long-settled issue" here, honestly!]