Re: Point position in minibuffer-message

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Point position in minibuffer-message
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:29:17 -0400

> In the new Lisp level implementation of minibuffer-message,
> temporarily displayed messages are displayed with overlay.  This
> introduces a slight change on point position.  Previously, point is
> put before temporarily displayed messages, whereas it is put after the
> messages now.  Since the temporarily displayed messages are not part
> of user input, I think it is better to put point before them, i.e. to
> keep the behavior as before.

That's a good point.  I think the bug is in the C code that places the
cursor (since the overlay is all setup with advancing markers).
But maybe fixing the cursor code is difficult.

The use of an overlay with after-string was chosen so as to avoid other
minor problems, but this one might be more important,

        Stefan