Re: Emacs does not listen on w32

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs does not listen on w32
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:44:52 +0200

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
In any case, the first
 thing to do is to figure out what *really* happened in the first place.
 We don't even know why Emacs didn't respond.  Maybe it has nothing to do
 with the processing of WM_CLOSE.

I don't think the problem was related to WM_CLOSE. What you suggested
is much more likely: a memory leak. Windows tends to be *extremely*
unresponsive on low-memory situations.

I think you and Stefan are right about the memory problem but that there are two different problems. In response to Eli's message I tested a simple loop, something like

  (let (x y)
     (while (not x)
        (setq y (current-time-string))
        (when (string= y "something")
          (setq x t))))

Running this Emacs does not hang the pc, but it still does not answer when clicking the [X]. (I could kill it with C-g here though.)

My answering to Lennart is because he's trying to hack around a
probable bug by pushing for a half-cooked idea, when a combination of
(the Windows equivalent of) kill -9 and gdb would be more appropriate
:)

 Juanma