Re: 23.0.60; bad link underlining in Info

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; bad link underlining in Info
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:34:03 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Drew Adams wrote:
See attached screenshots, one from Emacs 23, one from Emacs 22. In
Emacs 23, the underline is too close to the underlined characters.

Also, both the link characters and the underline seem too heavy in
Emacs 23.
In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-04-04 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/g/include
-fno-crossjumping'

This is with the new font backend. Did not someone send a patch for it?

No, but it is a known limitation in the font-backend according to comments in xterm.c and w32term.c (the latter copied from the former). Now that we have it in bug tracking we can be sure it won't be forgotten.

     if (enable_font_backend)
       {
         if (s->face->font)
       /* In the future, we must use information of font.  */
       y = s->ybase + (s->face->font->max_bounds.descent + 1) / 2;

Currently there is no API in the font backend to deal with this cleanly, and I don't want to install a platform specific hack. I think this, along with other improvements to the font backend (addressing performance) should wait until Kenichi Handa has finished the cleanup he is working on now.