Re: function arguments downcased in help buffers

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: function arguments downcased in help buffers
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:00:05 +0200

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Maybe they are lower case in your setup (Windows?), they very much are
>  in mine.

My point was/is that is defined that way. Whether it is not working
for some font backend / font combination is another issue altogether
(a bug, to be precise).

>  And help-argument-name is not distinguishable from the default case in
>  that setup:

If the italicised font cannot be distinguished from the normal one,
reverting to uppercase it's the safe thing.

>  lucidasanstypewriter used to be (maybe still is) the
>  one of the more popular fixed width fonts.

There are lots of fixed width fonts. DejaVu Sans Mono, for example, is
increasingly popular (and it works OK with this feature).

>  Probably with the changes in the font backend something in that code
>  changed, and not the help-argument-name appears the same, but the
>  arguments are downcased now, that is what made this old change apparent
>  now.

If you have a font which looks the same in italicised and
non-italicised forms, but it is different according to
`face-differs-from-default-p', that's not a bug in help argument
highlighting; it could creep up in other places.

>  The face is not a problem, but it is just odd to downcase the text.
>  I do consider this a bug, but if everyone likes that as a default, then
>  so be it.

It is already clear that it is a feature you don't like, but I find it
a bit insulting that you keep referring to it as a "bug".

 Juanma