Re: Recent trunk build crashes a lot under Win32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Recent trunk build crashes a lot under Win32
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:07:12 +0100

Claus wrote:
I tried building again with --no-opt, now it crashes on a different
line, again in fileio.c:

[New thread 5592.0x159c]
Error: dll starting at 0x22720000 not found.
warning: reader_thread.SetEvent failed with 6 for fd -1

[Switching to thread 5592.0x112c]
0x0107aecb in Fexpand_file_name (name=25063763,
default_directory=32568883) at fileio.c:1468
1468      if (1

OK, the rest of that line of code is the first reference to nm since the DECODE_FILE in the block that deals with expansion of ~. Does the crash happen only when opening files in your home directory?

Stefan's fix looks good to me, but I'm not sure how to force a situation where there is even the possibility of GC happening in DECODE_FILE, let alone forcing GC to definitely occur in there, so I can't test for sure. What is your locale-coding-system set to, and what path does HOME expand to? Also, do you use any arguments to configure or make, and have you set any gc or coding-system related variables in .emacs? Does the crash occur if you start Emacs with the -Q option?