Re: binding c-h in isearch

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: binding c-h in isearch
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:44:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>     ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>     ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>     ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)
>
> So it seems that Richard found it inconvenient.  Could someone try and
> work out some clever way to reconcile the two functionalities?

Here, C-h during isearch will exit current isearch session, just like
C-x or C-c. IOW, this keystroke will trigger global definition, with
first the *side effect* of leaving current isearch session. So I mean,
it is not like if we could, for example, *temporarily* check what
command is bound to C-w is isearch-mode-map, by typing, in an isearch
session, C-h c C-w. It will just return 'kill-region'.

My personal point of view :
 - isearch-mode-help explains how to exit an isearch session, namely
   C-g to go back to starting point and C-m to leave the point at
   location found. Any other way to exit has no reason to be
   supported, or should be mentionned as a feature somewhere.
 - isearch already rebinds many control caracters, C-h would be one
   more and quiet an intuitive one

So, +1 for C-h bound in isearch-mode-map.

> E.g. provide the generic help on C-h but the isearch-specific help on
> C-h C-h, or vice versa?

generic help on C-m C-h or C-g C-h ... well, that's not isearch
business, is it ? :)

--
      Paul