Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:25:57 +0200

>     Imagine several Emacs frames that are laid out next to each other, for
>     instance like this:
>
>     +---+-------------+
>     | 1 | 2           |
>     |   |             |
>     |   |             |
>     +---+-------------+
>     | 3               |
>     +-----------------+
>
> Ok, but why can't 1, 2 and 3 be windows?
> That would be a much simpler change than adding a new
> kind of entity.
>
> What usage scenario makes it necessary for these to be more
> than single windows?
>
> I am not saying there isn't one.  I'm asking to look the intended
> usage in order to see which solutions are adequate.

1,2,3 can be windows if they have special properties.

Heres a simpler example I wanted to code today, but failed because I
couldnt find a suitable Emacs feature(maybe there is one)

- 1,2 are normal Emacs windows

- 3 is a dedicated emacs window, containing a special "frame status"
  buffer. This buffer is like a mode-line, but contains mode-line
  entries like date-time, that I dont want to have in every window
  mode-line.

-  I dont want other-window to enter window 3, ever.

-  I dont want delete-other-windows to delete window 3, ever.

The ECB basically lets you create windows like 3 above. It does this by
using advice on Emacs primitives heavily.

Is this example clearer? Are there existing Emacs primitives to achieve
this?

--
Joakim Verona