delete-selection-mode (was: FW: commands to select things of different k

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: delete-selection-mode (was: FW: commands to select things of different kinds)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:33:18 +0300

>>> I use C-M-SPC *very* often, typically just before C-y (together with
>>> a variant of delete-selection-mode).
>>
>> BTW, since now shift-selection is available by default, I think we should
>> enable delete-selection-mode, because otherwise it is very confusing
>> for users coming from other programs to discover the weird behavior
>> of transient-mark-mode when delete-selection-mode is disabled.
>
> No.  I am already getting surprise region activations with the current
> settings.  Getting it erased by surprise is not what I consider fun.

I already know that you don't like transient-mark-mode.  So the only
option for you is to disable transient-mark-mode completely.

What I meant is that when the region is active in transient-mark-mode
typing a character that doesn't delete the region is not only useless
but also looks like a bug to users of any program other than Emacs.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/