Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:32:45 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> PS: We have had another limited form of delete-selection-mode enabled
> by default for a long time know, in the form of
> `mouse-region-delete-keys'.  The code used to implement this feature
> is quite problematic, tho, and I'd be happy if someone could use a
> more robust solution (or we could just remove that feature, which I
> always found to be unconvincing: people who like it will probably
> prefer to enable delete-selection-mode anyway).

Not me: I use this from time to time, but delete-selection-mode is too
intrusive for me.

Given that just right clicking twice will achieve the same thing, my
normal use case is when the mouse already went somewhere else and/or I
have returned back to the keyboard before deciding I want to delete the
marked stuff after all.

So it is not a feature I'd miss a whole lot.  But I do use it
occasionally, and I abhor delete-selection-mode.