Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:28:41 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
With the current semantics of active regions and delete-selection-mode,
I consider the end result painful.  That does not change that it may
also be in some cases be useful.

Does really nobody have an idea how to improve the situation?

Do I understand you right when I assume that the painful thing for old users would be that typing new text would delete the selection?

Many new users expects this. They also expect that you can undo that change with some undo command (which I think they expect to by C-z). Is that possible now?

If the default will be that typing new text replaces the visible region then maybe there should be a substate where it is possible to type in new text while the region is visible? One way this could be done is to let C-x C-x go into that substate (in addition to doing what it does now).

Would that be to inconvinient?