Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:19:16 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 13:24:52 -0700
> Cc: 'Emacs-Devel' <address@hidden>,
>       'Michael Albinus' <address@hidden>, 'Jason Rumney' <address@hidden>
>
> Could you (someone) explain why nothing was done? Was it because it was
> decided
> that: It was a silly problem and request (no need)? No idea how to fix it? No
> resources to fix it? Someone is still working on it?

My impression was that the problem was not deemed important enough to
fix.  But that's me.

> Assuming for the moment that there is no intention to do anything about it,
> can
> someone at least weigh in on the code I sent (which I'm still using)?
> Suggestions for improvement? What about the question wrt `file-remote-p' and
> `ffap-remote-p'?

I don't think the current notion of remote files in Emacs is
consistent with what you want.  I suggest instead to lobby for a
separate primitive; I'd support that if it were available on Unix and
GNU systems as well.