RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:44:46 -0700

> Calm down! I've made no suggestion to change delete-selection-mode
> itself. I am merely offering a suggestion for the
> circumstances in which it might be acceptable, and even desirable
> to turn it on by default.

I see. I thought you were suggesting to change it. You said it "should be
enabled only when the region was marked using shift movement keys". That is what
I objected to.

I have no objection to adding an _option_ for such a restriction in how it is
enabled. And I don't care about the default value of the option. Just so long as
Emacs users can easily get today's behavior.

> > Delete selection mode is not CUA selection or shift selection.
> > It is not exactly what newbies are
> > used to, and it shouldn't be made so. Let it be.
>
> I don't understand what this difference you are hinting at.

The Emacs region. You can define the region in many ways. You can use the region
in many ways. Some commands change their behavior based on an active region.

> What is it that you fear will be added to or subtracted from
> delete-selection-mode to make it exactly what is needed here?

The region, in its generality.