RE: testing for a remote file to include file on aWindows mappeddrive

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: testing for a remote file to include file on aWindows mappeddrive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:52:24 -0700

> > 3. Do #1 and perhaps rename `file-remote-p'.
>
> My quoting the docstring was specifically to explain that we already
> solved this part of the problem by (re)defining "remote".

OK by me.

> As for slowness, I can't remember anyone complaining about
> file-remote-p being slow (you quoted numbers comparing its
> speed to other code, but that doesn't make it slow).

Part of its mission is to give you a quick check, so speed is not irrelevant.
I'm not saying it needs to be optimal, but if the more expensive parts of the
test can be avoided by placing them last, so much the better, no?

In any case, please let me know what you have in mind for the patch.

I would like it to also handle Windows mapped network drives, since their access
is a potential slowdown. But you mentioned handling also Unix mounted drives,
and Eli mentioned that he didn't want us to include treatment for only Windows
in this regard. And Michael has apparently already written code for dealing with
mounts (his unpublished `file-mounted-p' code). Can we bring together what needs
to be done for this aspect?