Re: 23.0.60; Heavy display problems with new font backend

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Heavy display problems with new font backend
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:21:01 +0100

David Hansen wrote:

Well, if you want to use the good old bitmap fonts anyway it's probably
not worth.  These antialiased fonts look nice if they are huge black
letters on a bright background.  Small characters just look like s...,
especially with white fg on black bg.  I think I'll just use the old
font handling as long as possible.

There is a new font backend for the "old" X fonts, so you should be able to just keep using the old bitmapped fonts without having to resort to --disable-font-backend. If Xft has fonts of the same name that it imposes antialiasing on, then you can put the following in .Xresources to only use old X fonts:

Emacs.fontBackend: x