Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:34:42 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    > No, the arrow keys without shift do NOT deactivate the region ...
>
>    I think that depends on how you activate the region ...
>
>    2) If the region was activated with a shifted arrow key then unshifted
>    arrow keys deactivates the region. I think this is what users accustomed
>    to other applications expects.
>
> No, the arrow keys without shift do NOT deactivate the region; they
> deactivate the HIGHLIGHTING for the region.  I am not only able to
> call `exchange-point-and-mark' (which I invoke with `C-x C-x'), which
> tells me the region continues to exist, but the highlighting
> reappears.

I should think you are wrong here.  An existing region and an active
region are two different things, in particular when
mark-even-if-inactive is t (which it is by default).  And C-x C-x
reactivates region and mark anyway without complaint.

An _active_ region, for example, constrains the scope of M-%.  An
existing region doesn't.

--
David Kastrup