Re: 22.2.50; Display of "zero width no-break space" (U+FEFF)

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: 22.2.50; Display of "zero width no-break space" (U+FEFF)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 01:14:29 -0400

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> If "view mode" is meant to be more general than the minor mode
>> `view-mode', I agree.  E.g. in Gnus article buffer (a read-only buffer
>> where articles are displayed), `nobreak-char-display' is set to nil
>> whereas when composing or replying, Emacs' default is used.
>
> We definitely should highlight ZERO-WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE in
> whitespace-mode, but for editing modes I'm not so sure.

By default, Emacs should highlight ZERO-WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE.  If
individual major modes, like Gnus buffers, want to hide this character,
that's up to them; we don't have to worry about it.  It's just like how
Emacs ordinarily displays page breaks as ^L, whereas the Gnus article
buffer has special code to split articles into pages.