Re: Improving Emacs for writing code

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Improving Emacs for writing code
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:34:04 +0900

Neal Becker writes:
 > On Wednesday 23 April 2008, address@hidden wrote:
 > > what is exiting and what should be ready to test?
 > >
 > > Neal Becker wrote:
 > > > This is exciting.  Is there something ready to test, (with emacs
 > > > recent cvs)?

Just download tarballs and untar into site-lisp for Emacs, any version
from this millennium, I would suppose.  Maybe you need to set up a
couple autoloads in .emacs.

 > I haven't looked into any details, but the discussion of a more
 > advanced IDE using emacs is exciting.

??  This stuff is not new.  JDE and ECB are available in the default
XEmacs+SUMO installation, and has been for several years.  CEDET is
now available as an XEmacs package, too, although that's recent enough
that maybe it's not in Linux distro PMSes yet.  But this is tested
and released technology, eg, JDE now depends on CEDET, Semantic, and
EIEIO.