Re: What IDE features are in CEDET?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: What IDE features are in CEDET?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:09:51 +0200

Eric M. Ludlam wrote:
2) Code parsing / Code structure database
   I'd say that the Semantic core is stable, the core languages with
   parsers are pretty good.  The C++ parser really needs to be ported
   from the old (semantic version 1) parser to the new bison based
   parser David Ponce wrote, and the gcc-xml thing I read about
   recently is another neat option that could be used.

There are some good parsers that need some changes to fit into the framework:

- nxml-mode XML parser.
- Steve Yegge's javascript parser.

It think that some parser also should be rewritten to work with parts of a buffer so that all the languages for building XHTML (like PHP etc) can be supported. A lot of programming is done with such languages today and IMO it also has a democratic value since frameworks for exchanging information (Drupal, WordPress etc) are built in those languages.

* Parsers for indenting / coloring
  I get this question alot.  Can a Semantic parser be used for
  indentation or coloring?  Answer: yes.  I just haven't done it.  The
  more interesting question is, can a single parser provide data about
  the code, indentation, and coloring at the same time without making
it too hard to maintain?

I am not sure what the benefits with a single parser would be. Instead I believe that a framework that cooperates with Semantic in some way and gives it chunks with different major modes would have benefits. (I hope mumamo can provide this.)