Re: Emacs can't be built without recent makeinfo

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Emacs can't be built without recent makeinfo
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:06:16 +1200

 > The "online manuals" are a vital part of Emacs, so yes...

They might be desirable but they're not vital.  Emacs still works as an editor,
etc, without them.

 > >> Indeed, no. Especially since they are supposed to be pre-built in
 > >> the tarball.
 >
 > ...however in many cases they are pre-built.
 >
 > >>  The test should/could be moved to the Makefile, maybe?
 > >
 > > Is this really an issue? texinfo 4.6 was released in 2003.

I was building Emacs on an old system to test it with an old version of
Gdb.  Clearly it's not a _big_ issue as no-one else has reported a problem
but it seems logical to me that if texinfo is missing/too old then Emacs
just gets built without the manuals and this is reported at configure time.