Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:20:21 -0400

>>> If the windows plist window-operation-behaviour-flags
>>> delete-other-windows is t, the window is not electable for deletion when
>>> delete-other-windows is run.
>>
>> I'd rather add window-parameter and set-window-parameter.  After all,
>> most objects have such things and it's useful for more than just
>> "behavior flags".
>>
>> Such an addition is useful in general and can be installed right away.

> Ok, I will model it like set-frame-parameter, frame-parameter. Thanks
> for the tip!

>> As for the introduction of special meaning for some parameters so as to
>> influence delete-other-windows, while I think it may work well, I'd
>> rather first see it fully developed and shown to be a good fit for ECB,
>> before installing it.  This is because there's a good chance that it may
>> not work quite as needed at first and that the design requires some
>> rounds of refinement until it's really what we want.

> How do you feel about the current interface:
> delete-other-windows t, inhibits delete-other-windows

Honestly?  I think it's terrible (it's just one-step better than using
advice).  But it's the best we have so far.

What I hope to get from the above is an understand of which functions
need to get changed together, then we can create a couple special
window-parameter (call it "foo" and "bar"-windows) and have those
handled accordingly in delete-other-windows, etc...

The crucial difference is that "foo" and "bar" shouldn't have anything
directly to do with delete-other-windows but should instead express
a particular intention behind the use of the window.  I.e. an attribute
similar to `dedicated'.

>> So I suggest you work on a separate branch for that.
> I have set up a local bzr branch to work in, that should be enough right?

Yes, that's fine.  If you want to make it public, it's even better.
Note also that I don't see any copyright assignment from you, so you may
want to address this if you want to have your code installed (or if you
want to place a mirror of your branch in Emacs's bzr repository).

        Stefan