Re: Alternative fringe bitmaps for continuation/truncation

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Alternative fringe bitmaps for continuation/truncation
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:18:36 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> If you don't like the current "fat (curly) arrows" bitmaps used in the
>>> fringe for continuation and truncation lines, the following more
>>> modest bitmaps may be more appealing.
>>>
>> I think they are likely to invite bug reports about corrupted display if we
>> make them the default.

> I'd tend to agree, although I must say that with the half-width fringes
> I use, these continuation icons look better than the slightly truncated
> arrows (because my fringes aren't wide enough).

For the continuation bitmaps I don't expect such bug reports -
the ... idiom is quite well-known, and the curly arrows are so
much in your face that I suppose many users dislike them.

> I'm not convinced by the truncation icons, tho.

I agree that they are a bit too cryptic for general acceptance.

I think these are much better:

(define-fringe-bitmap 'right-truncation
  "\x04\x02\xa9\x02\x04" nil nil 'bottom)
(define-fringe-bitmap 'left-truncation